Saturday

Changing Lenses In The Field

How To Swap Out Lenses in the Field
Today’s Photo Tip: Changing Lenses In The Field: I currently have only 2 lenses, a 14-42mm and a 45-200mm. I usually start my outdoor sessions with the 14-42mm lens on the camera. I carry the 45-200mm, rear face up, in a padded Tamrac case attached to a waist belt. Whenever the need to change lenses out in the field arose, I felt awkward and uneasy about making the switch, often afraid that I might drop one of the lenses in the process or end up with dirt on the film sensor inside my camera. However, over time I eventually began to develop a process that became confortable; confident that I was taking the right steps to protect protect the integrity of my camera and the safety of my lenses. In an effort to provide help to others who may have struggled with this problem, I have outlined the steps that I use below:

1) ALWAYS remember to turn the camera off before swapping out lenses. 
2) I try to make it a point to either have the camera attached to a strap strung around my neck or on my tripod.
3) In order to minimize dust intrusion, place your back to the wind and make sure the camera is pointed towards the ground.
4) I unzip the lens case and remove the protective rear cap, palming it in my right hand.
4) I then remove the replacement lens from the case and place it in my left hand, making sure that as I hold it, my thumb is over the RED alignment dot. After removing the lens from the case, I place the protective rear cap back into the case.
5) With my camera pointing downward, I position the replacement lens just forward of the existing lens. Using my right hand, I then grab hold of the attached lens, depressing the lens release button and twist it to the right until it releases, pulling it slightly outward and to the right.
6) I then quickly pull the replacement lens inward, aligning the two RED dots, and turn the lens to the left until it clicks into place.
7) Finally, I retrieve the rear lens cap from the lens case and place it on the rear of the dismounted lens before putting it in the bag, rear face up, and zipping it shut. 

Once you have done this a few times, you will be amazed at how quickly you can perform these simple steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment