Friday

Journal Entry for Friday, Jan 13th

People & Portraits - A New Photo Category
IMG_2033 (Antique)Today I created a new photo subject category on my Photo Gallery site titled, People and Portraits. In reviewing last years pictures, I suddenly realized that the majority of my pictures are absent of people. It seems that for whatever reason, I have usually made it a point to take pictures without people. Maybe it’s because I felt that they usually seem to detract attention from the intended subject matter. As a result of making this discovery, I’ve decided to try and take more pictures this year that are inclusive of people, thus the new subject category.

Wikipedia defines portrait photography as “the capture by means of photography of the likeness of a person or a small group of people (a group portrait), in which the face and expression is predominant. The objective is to display the likeness, personality, and even the mood of the subject. Like other types of portraiture, the focus of the photograph is the person's face, although the entire body and the background may be included. A portrait is generally not a snapshot, but a composed image of a person in a still position. A portrait often shows a person looking directly at the camera. Storytelling photography conveys emotion, mood and ideas in which expressions are captured and the person will not need to be looking directly into camera.” Hopefully this endeavor will lead to some more interesting pictures. Check out my first photo in this new category and let me know what you think. People & Portraits

No comments:

Post a Comment